Business License and Regulations
For a copy of Business License and Regulations Bylaw 718, 2013 click here.
Do I Need a Business License?
Business License and Regulations Bylaw 718 defines a business license as follow:
“Business” means carrying on a commercial or industrial undertaking of any kind or nature or the providing of professional, personal, or other services for the purpose of gain or profit
If you are operating or intend to operate a business, Business Licence application forms can be obtained:
- in person at the Municipal office at #1 Opal Drive during regular business hours;
- by contacting staff at the Municipal office at 250.523.6225 during regular business hours an application may be mailed, emailed or faxed; or
- click here for a Business Licence application form.
If you have an existing business license, annual renewals are sent out in January and payable by February 28th. A 10% penalty will apply to license renewals that are not paid in full by February 28th in each year. Should you cease to operate your business, please notify staff at the Municipal Office by calling 250.523.6225 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours.
Business License Application Process
Upon receipt of your Business License Application, the Business License Inspector will:
- review the application to confirm that the business is a ‘permitted use’ within the Zoning of the said property;
- forward the application to the Fire Chief for an inspection of the property, if applicable (i.e. commercial business accessed by the public, fire extinguishers, required entry and exits, storage of supplies);
- forward the application to the Health Inspector for approval related to food sales, personal health care, day cares, lounges, pubs or bars, if applicable; and
- forward the application to other agencies, as applicable (i.e. RCMP, BC Liquor Inspector, etc).
When all approvals have been obtained, staff will prepare the Business License and contact the owner for payment and pickup of the said license from the Municipal Office at #1 Opal Drive.
To download a copy of the District’s Business License Application and Inter-Community Business Licence Application please scroll to the bottom of the page.
Business License Categories and Fees
Following are the Business License Categories and Fees.
– to a maximum of 15 rooms
– and per room over 15 rooms
|Home Based (without Fire Inspection)|
Home Based (with Fire Inspection)
2nd and 3rd Home Based Business
50% rate reduction
|Non-Resident and/or Resident||$100.00|
|One Day License (Mobile Vendor)||$25.00|
|Inter-Community Business Licence||$75.00|
If you would like further clarification of the categories listed above, please review the Business License and Regulations Bylaw 718, 2013 please click here
Licence Changes or Transfers
Should the location of the business premises, business name, business owner, type of business or the term or condition on which the license was issued change, you must contact the Business License Inspector and pay $25.00 to have the said changes made to your Business License. Additionally, agency referrals may be required.
Offenses and Penalties
Following are the Business License and Regulations Bylaw Offences and Penalties:
|No business license||12)a)i)||$100.00|
|Failure to display business license||12)a)ii)||$ 50.00|
|Failure to provide information required||12)a)iii)||$ 50.00|
|Operate business after notice of suspension or cancellation||12)a)iv)||$100.00|
|Failure to comply with terms of business license||12)a)v)||$ 50.00|
|Failure to remove an unsafe business sign and/or repair and/or maintain a business sign||12)a)vi)||$100.00|
|Failure to remove a business sign when the business is no longer operating||12)a)vii)||$500.00|
To view the Directory of Businesses registered with the District please click here.